The little kids enjoy long vacations from their schools at different times of the year, according to the adverse climactic conditions in the various continents. But the parents are always fretting over how to utilize this long break from the strict school curriculum in the most effective way for their little ones. The best way to make your toddler’s summer vacation worthwhile is by gifting him/her a series of educational video games as they will provide your child a platform to experiment, to explore, to make mistakes and to learn, while having fun.
An educational video game intentionally merges gaming with an educational software in the most entertaining fashion. Gamification of education has garnered huge interest magiquotes among the educators and is also capturing a permanent position in the school curriculum, as it serves as an effective teaching-aid in making students understand the nitty-gritty of Math, English vocabulary, Geography, History, Political Science, General Knowledge, along with Computer programming, a recent addition to the school syllabi.
If educational video games are well executed, they can provide a strong framework for inquiry and project-based learning, says Alan Gershenfeld, co-founder and president of E-Line Media, a publisher of computer and video games and a Founding Industry Fellow at Arizona State University’s Center for Games and Impact.
“Games are also uniquely suited to fostering the skills necessary for navigating a complex, interconnected, rapidly changing 21st century,” he adds. Similarly, Histrionix is a leading learning company with a vision of spreading “EduPLAYtion”, that is, a seamless blend of play and education, among the younger generations. A brain-child of two history teachers Rick Brennan and Jason Darnell, this game’s aim is to provide the educators and the learners an interactive, game-based curriculum on various subjects, that will help in enhancing the critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities of their players.
Some video games that can enlighten as well as entertain your child in this summer vacation are:
1) Fish School HD: It is a great game for preschoolers. It teaches numbers, letters, shapes, and colours with the help of animated fish and tries to cover basic skills taught before or during preschool curriculum. After kids work out their brains, they can have play time by tapping and dragging the fish and watching them react.
2) MinecraftEdu: A version of the famous game, Minecraft, it teaches students mathematical concepts including perimeter, area and probabilities as well as foreign languages.
3) Dinosaur Park Math: The game takes you through a dinosaur park and presents math and trivia challenges to unlock different parts of the park. The kid’s job is to unlock pieces of each dinosaur by solving math problems. Once the fossils are uncovered, the guide will give facts about that specific dinosaur and the world it lived in. This app has the perfect combination of addition, subtraction, and dinosaur facts.
4) ChemBlaster: It is a web-based game designed to help players learn core Chemistry concepts, including elemental symbols and 52 common ions and polyatomic compound,by blowing them to bits.
5) Games like GlobeTrotter2 and GeoGuessr help the video game lovers to learn about the states and their capitals from various countries. GeoGuessr is a game which places its player on different geographical locations and provides clues, with the help of which you have to recognize the location, whereas GlobeTrotter2 is a game which presents questions related to geography to its players in order to progress through the game.